Monday, July 18, 2011

Vegetarian Dinner

Stepping back and looking what I eat every week, I noticed that Austin and I eat some kind of meat at least 5 days a week. That's a lot of meat. And it's not like we need to eat that much meat. I feel like we eat it because it's filling and...well...it tastes good.

So we decided to start off with making Mondays "Veggie Day". Slowly we will incorporate more vegetarian meals into our diet so that we might have meat 2 days a week. Not only does it save money, (I spent $40 on 2 lbs of organic free-range ground turkey!) but it's also better for the environment. That does not mean however that this will turn into a vegetarian blog...I plan on making pineapple pulled pork next week...It's just going to be a healthier blog :) Come on, be happy for me~ The fat kid in me is having a hard time with this.

It's gonna be tough because it's been a part of our diets for so long. But I think it will be a healthy thing to do for a while. As tough as it is going to be, tonight's vegetarian meal was SO good :)

I made a simple Israeli Couscous Salad filled with colorful veggies from my garden and the farmer's market. I insist you try it because it's quick and easy and you can save the leftovers for lunch!







Israeli Couscous Salad
Israeli couscous
Vegetable Stock
Carrot (diced)
Red onion (diced)
Beets (diced)
Beet leaves (diced)
Rainbow Chard (thinly chopped)
Garlic (minced)
Avocado (diced)
Cucumber (diced)
Snap Peas (diced)
Mint (minced)
Apple Cider Vinegar (2 tsp.)
Salt
Pepper

1. Cook the Israeli couscous in Vegetable stock as directed and set aside.
2. Sauté garlic and carrots until slightly soft, then add beet leaves and red onion. Sauté until beet leaves are wilted. Set aside to cool.
3. Throw all other veggies into a large bowl with mint, mix lightly. Add Couscous and sautéed vegetables.
4. Add salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.

Enjoy guys!!


-K