Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Color Me Mine Creation~

Nope. Not food. This post is about my epic journey of painting my own ceramic plate.

It started as a walk down 3rd St. Promenade, doing some window shopping in some of my favorite stores (Aldo shoes, Barnes and Nobel, Sur la Table, and Anthropologie). I walked into Anthropologie for some inspiration and came across their beautiful and colorful plates and bowls. A large serving plate stood out...and the voice in my head screamed I WANT IT!!!!! I turned the plate over and saw that it was $70 for  a plate I might use a few times a year. A bit disgruntled, I stalked out of Anthropologie, grunting at the door girl as I walked by, knowing that she gets a discount and headed to the corner bar to grab a drink.

As I walked to the bar, I glance to the other side of the street and see a colorful sign that said "Color Me Mine" and like a bug to an electric light, I made a beeline to the store.
Cute place fit for having a rich kids birthday party, but chill enough to have a date night on friday. It cost $10 for an all day studio fee and the ceramic plate I wanted was only $30! So instead of paying $70, I could save and could have four really good beers on tap, or ten medium lattes with the left over money.~

Long story short it took me three days to finish the stupid plate. $30 in studio fees and $30 for the plate...coming out to a grand total of $60...saving only $10.
But it's my own creation and I love it. What did I learn from this experience? I learned that it takes a really long time to paint plates, I like painting plates, and Anthropologie can kiss my ass/ hire me as a ceramic artist. :)

I'm excited to go back and do it all over again :)



Till next time~